Thursday, May 26, 2011

'Boom ba Boom Ba...'

Kimbra is a goddess.



Fact.
Signed at 16 and hailing from New Zealand, the part soul/part pop/part cabaret singer now resides in Melbourne and you'd probably recognise her vocals featuring on Miami Horror’s hit ‘I look to you’.

When I saw her at the Oxford Art Factory recently, there was an audible grown when she mentioned her boyfriend which just further proves my theory: you can't watch Kimbra without falling in love. At the ‘Cameo Lover’ single launch, Kimbra took the stage in green-suede wedges and a tutu. Her voice shook the room and set my teeth on edge. She played tracks from her forthcoming album ‘Vows’ which promises to be a mash-up of pop, soul, big band and jazz. A highlight was her rendition of Nina Simone’s ‘Plain Gold Ring’ using voice loops, the songstress conveyed heartbreak beyond her twenty years.

She’s been promising Vows will be out by August – my fingers are so tightly crossed I can barely feel them.



Love,
Cactus
x

No comments:

Post a Comment