Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Kids Are All Right


I love it when I know I'm going to love a movie as soon as the credits roll up. It was something about the sketchy type and vampire weekend soundtrack mixed with images of kids riding bikes, skateboards, snorting speed and then punching on in front of a televised wrestling match that made me know that 'The Kids Are All Right' was for me.

This is one of the most authentic and funny movies that I've seen come out of Hollywood. This unconventional family stole my heart, every member was such a well-formed, true person that I loved them all the more for their flaws. No one was idealised, no one was vilanised and this is one of the films that doesn't throw the only funny lines into the trailer.

Anette Benning is incredible as was her on screen wife Julianne Moore - and their relationship was so believable. Mark Ruffalo was excellent as the mister cool organic sperm doner to kids Mia Wasikowska and Josh Hutcherson who bring authentic teen characters to the screen.

What I loved about this film was the awkward moments. No one ever says cool comebacks at exactly the right time and that's what this movie did. It really drew out those awkward human moments in life. And I just loved that. One of my faves was when Annette Benning went on a rant about how they can feel good about themselves because they started to compost.

Not everyone in the cinema got it. My friend and I were in a pretty packed cinema, and there was only a few of us laughing hysterically the entire time. But if you think you tend to see things a little left of centre, then this is definitely the movie for you.



Thanks to The Crafty Minx for the tix - the saving there allowed me an extra choc-top :)

love,
cactus

No comments:

Post a Comment