Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Living on the wild, more refined side


The first time I tried kiwi fruit I was eight. I was at my next-door neighbour's house and her mum cut it up for me on a plate and gave us a corn cod holder to eat it with. I gobbled down my entire plate, cursing my own mother for not introducing me to this exotic fruit earlier. When my friend left the room, I ate all of her kiwi fruit as well. This didn't bode well. She didn't speak to me for a week and I went home with a tummy ache and the next day awoke with the desire to never touch another kiwi fruit for as long as I lived.

I still don't eat it.

I can't say I had a similar experience with sparkling water, but I've never liked the stuff ... until now. I don't know what's going on, or how I acquired a taste for it, but lately, I can't get enough of pellegrino. It may not sound like much to you, but it signifies a step into adulthood for me. I can't tell you how many lunch meetings I've attended where all the ladies opt for the fancy green glass bottle while I sit there with my still, usually warm tap water. I always felt so uneducated, so mainstream, so not bubbly.

But something's changed. I'm suddenly craving carbonated water and I can't really pinpoint the moment when it all started. Maybe it was when I said to a friend at a christmas party 'this stuff's okay' and he replied 'okay? It's great, it's water, but fizzy. What's not to like?'

Hmm seeing my thoughts onscreen just makes this whole new discovery sound trivial. But really, I don't recall the last time my taste buds changed. So it's nice to know I'm alive and maturing, even if it is in the most menial way of discovering I am.

Here's to trying new things!

cactus
x

No comments:

Post a Comment